ACLU Foundation of Southern California
The ACLU Foundation of Southern California (ACLU SoCal) seeks a Staff Attorney to protect and expand reproductive justice, lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, and queer (“LGBTQ”) rights, and gender equity in Southern California and throughout the state.
Founded in 1923, the ACLU SoCal has been at the forefront of many major efforts to protect civil liberties, civil rights, and equal justice in California. Principled and nonpartisan, the ACLU SoCal has offices in Los Angeles, Orange County (Orange), the Inland Empire (San Bernardino), and Kern County (Bakersfield). The ACLU SoCal tackles a vast array of issues, including police practices, criminal justice, First Amendment rights, voting rights, gender equity, reproductive justice, LGBTQ rights, immigrants’ rights, education equity, and economic justice.
The Staff Attorney will work on the full range of LGBTQ rights, reproductive justice, and gender equity issues on which the ACLU of Southern California engages locally, statewide, and nationally. The Staff Attorney will be supervised by the Director of the LGBTQ, Gender & Reproductive Justice Project, and could be based in ACLU SoCal’s Los Angeles, San Bernardino, or Orange offices. We anticipate hiring an attorney with four to eight years of relevant experience for this position.
The ACLU of Southern California operates on a model of integrated advocacy, using litigation, legislation, policy advocacy with government agencies and private actors, community engagement, and organizing as mutually supportive tactics to advance civil rights. The staff attorney will not only develop and litigate cases in state and federal court, but also serve as an expert and advocate on reproductive justice, gender equity, and LGBTQ rights issues in support of lawsuits, policy reform, legislation, coalition-building, and other types of advocacy.
ACLU SoCal is a local affiliate of the national American Civil Liberties Union, serving an eight-county area of Southern California. The Staff Attorney will be part of the ACLU’s statewide Gender, Sexuality, and Reproductive Justice issue team, working closely with advocates at the ACLU of Northern California, the ACLU of San Diego and Imperial Counties, ACLU California Action, and the national ACLU to secure large-scale change.
ACLU SoCal’s recent priority campaigns in the areas of gender equity, reproductive justice, and LGBTQ rights have included:
- Reducing police profiling and arrest for women and LGBTQ people, primarily through supporting the movement toward decriminalization of voluntary sex work in California;
- investigating, exposing, and addressing structural racism and other harms associated with the family regulation system, also known as the “child welfare” system;
- Protecting and expanding access to reproductive and gender-affirming health care and helping make California a “haven state” for people who need abortion care;
- Protecting and advancing the rights of LGBTQ students, expanding all students’ access to LGBTQ-inclusive social studies curriculum, and supporting students’ ability to learn and participate at school while pregnant, parenting, or menstruating;
- Increasing the ability of women and LGBTQ people to safely and authentically access housing and public accommodations;
- Improving conditions of incarceration for LGBTQ people and women, and improving access to reproductive health care and lactation accommodations in carceral settings;
- Creating workplace equity for workers of all genders, with a focus on expanding supports for workers with family caregiving responsibilities;
- Supporting intersectional aspects of ACLU campaigns in other issue areas, including criminal legal system reform, immigrants’ rights, education equity, economic justice, First Amendment rights, and government transparency.
To apply for this job please visit www.aclusocal.org.