Public Counsel’s Immigrants’ Rights Project (IRP), envisions a world where all (im)migrants live with dignity, power, and opportunity. Staffed by approximately 25 attorneys, support staff, and social workers, IRP provides direct legal representation to non-citizens seeking asylum, cancellation of removal, special immigrant juvenile status, VAWA, T and U visas, and other relief in immigration court. In addition to direct representation, IRP engages in advocacy at the local and national levels, represents detained immigrants, recruits, trains, and mentors hundreds of pro bono attorneys each year, handles appeals before the Board of Immigration Appeals, Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals, and California Court of Appeal, and conducts impact litigation. For 30 years, IRP has been at the forefront of protecting the rights of immigrants in Los Angeles.
IRP seeks a full-time Paralegal to join its Anti-Detention Team. Reporting to the Anti-Detention Team’s Supervising Staff Attorney, the new Paralegal will:
- Communicate with clients, including clients in detention and clients who have been criminalized;
- Communicate with clients’ families and community members;
- Create and maintain case files;
- Assist in maintaining calendars;
- Prepare applications, declarations, country conditions materials, evidentiary filings using Adobe Acrobat, and other legal documents;
- Request criminal and immigration records;
- Manage a caseload of pending cases under the supervision of multiple attorneys;
- File documents in court/online;
- Screen and respond to incoming calls and letters from people in detention and their loved ones;
- Conduct intake interviews;
- Provide support to Anti-Detention Members, including Staff Attorneys, Supervising Attorney, and social work and legal interns;
- Provide translation and interpretation assistance;
- Case management support to identify and link clients to community resources;
- Administrative tasks as needed by the team, including data tracking and grant reporting;
- Other duties as assigned.
To apply for this job please visit recruiting.paylocity.com.