Public Counsel is the largest pro bono public interest law firm in the country. Founded in 1970, it is dedicated to advancing equal justice under law and addressing economic, racial, and other inequities by delivering free legal and social services to the most vulnerable members of our community. Public Counsel operates eight legal projects: Children’s Rights, Community Development, Consumer Rights, Homelessness Prevention, Immigrants’ Rights, Veterans’ Rights, the Audrey Irmas Project for Women & Girls’ Rights, and our impact litigation project, Opportunity Under Law. Public Counsel has a full-time staff of over 130 and seeks to have a racially diverse workplace.
Public Counsel’s Homelessness Prevention Law Project (HPLP) serves individuals who are homeless or at high risk of becoming homeless. The Shriver Housing Project is a pilot project authorized under the Shriver Civil Counsel Act (AB 590) to demonstrate the benefits of providing counsel to clients in high-stakes civil litigation such as the possible loss of housing. Although not a pure civil Gideon project, the Shriver Housing Project assists thousands of unrepresented low-income litigants in unlawful detainer actions.
In addition to our homelessness prevention and anti-displacement efforts, our recent work includes:
- Supporting local tenants in their successful efforts to obtain an Eviction Moratorium ordinance.
- Teaming up with other non-profit legal services providers, tenant organizers and community-based organizations throughout Los Angeles County to push forward the implementation of a Right to Counsel for all tenants in eviction proceedings.
- Responding to federal attempts to rollback housing subsidies for immigrant families and fair housing protections.
The Paralegal will be a part of a team providing eviction defense and counsel and advice to tenants who reside in the area served by the Stanley Mosk Courthouse.
This is a full-time position that has the following responsibilities:
- Carry a high volume caseload that may include a mix of landlord-tenant counseling and eviction defense with attorney supervision;
- Provide support to Staff Attorneys and Supervising Attorney;
- Act as a resource for other Public Counsel staff and community partners;
- Coordinate grant reporting, billing, and outcome tracking for case work as directed by the Supervising Attorney;
- Perform various clerical duties such as record-keeping, document copying, e-Filing, etc.; and,
- Other duties as assigned.
To apply for this job please visit recruiting.paylocity.com.