Public Counsel’s Homelessness Prevention Law Project (HPLP) serves individuals who are unhoused or at high risk of becoming homeless. HPLP provides pro bono representation to homeless individuals and families to stabilize housing and secure food and other vital benefits. In addition, HPLP assists unrepresented low-income litigants in unlawful detainer actions, and helps address tickets and warrants that present barriers to an individual’s housing and stability.
In addition to our homelessness prevention and anti-displacement efforts, our recent work includes:
- Supporting local tenants in their successful efforts to obtain and preserve COVID-related eviction protections.
- Teaming up with other non-profit legal services providers, tenant organizers and community-based organizations throughout Los Angeles County to push forward the implementation of a Right to Counsel for all tenants in eviction proceedings.
Public Counsel has two Staff Attorney vacancies in the Homelessness Prevention Law Project.
Reporting to a Supervising Staff Attorney, the new Staff Attorney(s) will;
- Carry a personal caseload litigating unlawful detainer (eviction) cases which includes: client interviews; drafting pleadings, motions, discovery, briefs, and correspondence; negotiating with outside parties; representing clients in court and conducting jury trials;
- Provide legal counsel and advice, and limited-scope representation to low-income individuals regarding evictions and related housing matters;
- Act as a resource regarding unlawful detainer cases and other housing issues for other Public Counsel staff, community-based organizations, and partner agencies;
- Work with a large network of pro bono attorneys to handle unlawful detainer cases and other housing matters;
- Participate in community outreach, including preparing and presenting Know Your Rights trainings, and staffing community legal clinics;
- Assist with grant reporting, billing, and outcome tracking for housing work; and,
- Other duties as required by the development of our community lawyering efforts.
To apply for this job please visit recruiting.paylocity.com.