Public Counsel’s Consumer Rights & Economic Justice (“CREJ”) Project is one of the oldest projects within Public Counsel. Our mission is to advance economic justice by providing legal counsel for, and advocacy on behalf of low-income individuals and their families, addressing inequalities in bargaining power, opposing those who take advantage of the vulnerable, and holding wrongdoers accountable.
Public Counsel’s Appellate Self-Help Clinic has been operating out of the Second District Court of Appeal since 2008. With new grant funding we are expanding the clinic from one to three days per week. The Appellate Self-Help Clinic is part of the Consumer Rights & Economic Justice (“CREJ”) Project, which also includes the Federal Pro Se Clinic.
This is a part time (3 days per week) Supervising Staff Attorney position for an attorney with Appellate Law experience; or willing to learn Appellate procedure, to advise self-represented litigants. The successful candidate will join the Consumer Rights & Economic Justice team.
The principal responsibilities will be to:
- Manage the provision of appellate self-help services in the Second District State Court of Appeal three days per week;
- Manage existing grants and ensure deliverables are accurately accounted for and reported;
- Assist the Directing Attorney in pursuing grant opportunities and assist in grant writing in relation to appellate and access to justice work;
- Directly supervise paralegal/administrative staff members and pro bono volunteers in the delivery of appellate self-help services;
- Liaise with court staff at all levels to ensure the smooth-running of clinic operations;
- Develop self-help and instructional materials for litigants, including videos;
- Assist the Directing Attorney to build up a network of pro bono contacts;
- Provide training where necessary to enable pro bonos to effectively serve self-represented litigants;
- Contribute to the team and organization as a whole by taking part in organization-wide activities, including integrating diversity, equity and inclusion policies into our work and workplace.
- Other job duties as assigned
To apply for this job please visit recruiting.paylocity.com.