Public Counsel’s Immigrants’ Rights Project (IRP) envisions a world where all (im)migrants live with dignity, power, and opportunity. Staffed by approximately 25 attorneys, support staff, and social workers, IRP provides direct legal representation to non-citizens seeking asylum, special immigrant juvenile status, VAWA, T and U visas, and other relief in immigration court. In addition to direct representation, IRP engages in advocacy at the local and national levels, represents detained immigrants, recruits, trains, and mentors hundreds of pro bono attorneys each year, handles appeals before the Board of Immigration Appeals, Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals, and California Court of Appeal, and conducts impact litigation. For 30 years, IRP has been at the forefront of protecting the rights of immigrants in Los Angeles.
IRP is seeking a full-time Supervising Staff Attorney to lead its Pro Bono Asylum team. The Pro Bono Asylum team recruits, trains, mentors, and provides technical assistance to volunteer attorneys to represent individuals and families seeking asylum and other forms of immigration relief before US Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS), the Immigration Courts and federal court. We use client-centered advocacy to provide holistic, trauma-informed, and interdisciplinary services for our immigrant clients who come to the United States from all over the world. The team focuses on insuring high quality legal representation and seeks to develop a sustainable and exemplary model for holistic services. Most cases are placed with pro bono attorneys, many of whom do not have prior immigration experience. Currently, social work is integrated into services for a segment of the clients, to support the clients in participating in their legal cases and to address other barriers they face. We help clients access emotional and social support, and are guided by our clients’ voicing of their needs, concerns, and goals related to their legal case.
The Supervising Attorney will be responsible for the following tasks, though others may be required as the position demands:
- Providing excellent supervision to team members on all aspects of their direct services work, advocacy efforts and professional development;
- Fostering strategic vision for mission-driven sustainability and growth of the team, including supporting pursuit of funding opportunities;
- Managing the team’s grants, ensuring compliance with deliverables and reporting requirements;
- Recruiting, training, and providing technical assistance to pro bono attorneys;
- As capacity exists, representing asylum seekers in seeking relief before the Department of Homeland Security, the Executive Office for Immigration Review, and/or federal court;
- Conducting advocacy to advance the rights of asylum seekers including collaborating with Public Counsel’s communications team when consistent with litigation and advocacy goals;
- Participating in efforts within the Immigrants’ Rights Project, and Public Counsel more broadly, to promote thoughtful leadership and an equitable and inclusive work culture.
To apply for this job please visit recruiting.paylocity.com.